Monday 15 July 2013

Because you have to start somewhere, I'll start by making a point.

Alright, alright. You've probably heard the first song I'll post a thousand times, especially if you live in the UK, unless in 2006 you  were already hidden in a bunker preparing the 2012 apocalyspe (No judging, anxiety disorders happen.).
And I wanted to make a point very dear to my heart before I start. I don't mean to be a guru of Indie-obscure acts whose greatness has yet been revealed to the world. You may know the songs I'll post, you may not, but wether you discover a brand new song on this blog and make you wonder how you ever lived without it in your life, or you enjoy listening once more to a song you knew but forgot about, or never forgot about, or simply find my opinion interesting, I'll be happy. But as a music lover, and a music seeker, if you don't, I'll get over it.

And if the popularity of a song was an appropriate indicator of its quality, I think we would know by now.
And I think we ALL know songs that don't deserve the credit they're getting (EEEEH SEXY LADY).
However, praise from the mainstream does NOT mean that a song is not cool nor good anymore, just because more than you and your avant-guarde friends know it.

Enough rambling, I'll let Jack White brilliantly speak for myself :

"It’s ridiculous to champion underdogs and once they succeed to abandon them. Where’s your sense of longevity with the things you love? If you abandon a band as soon as other people like them, then you don’t love it for the right reasons. You like music for identity. You have an identity problem. [laughs] That’s not loving music. Loving art for its own sake means you don’t care what people think—which is exactly what they’re supposedly standing for."

No comments:

Post a Comment